Friday, September 23, 2011

so far

"...there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficent for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest in me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persucutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Whats happened so far.....
On Tuesday Jeremy received a gunshot wound that went through his forearm into his abdomen on the side. It damaged his right kidney enough that the kidney had to be removed. He also has a grade 1 liver laceration (which will totally heal on its own). After the surgery to remove the bullet (and his kidney) his wound was left "open" and packed/sealed to make sure that if they needed to go back in they could. He arrived in Germany Thursday in the ICU and was still intubated, sedated, and stable. Everything looked GOOD once he got to Germany they were able to close the incision in his abdomen which is HUGE (in the sense of "this is awesome!" not size!)!!! It means that he is beginning to heal enough that they don't think they need to do anymore surgery.

Here is the the new stuff:
 He was holding stable until late last night (still in ICU). Then he spiked a fever and began to have more difficulty breathing and his bp dropped. After stabilizing him they did a bronchial scope to test the fluid that has now built up in his lungs. They think he has pneumonia as well as sepsis (an infection of the blood). Doc also thinks he has bruising around his lungs from the gunshot wound/surgery that is causing his poor lung function. He is currently on more meds than I can count. 2 for his bp, lovenox to prevent clots, 3 antibiotics for the infections, and drugs to keep his pain under control and keep him asleep. As well as a feeding tube in his stomach to give him nutrients, and the ventilator so that his lungs don't have to work as hard. They wake him every shift (so twice a day) to do his checks (squeeze my hand, wiggle your toes etc) he fights the ventilator hardcore (his guys are going THATS SO SIMON!). They even caught him trying to sit up and pull the damn thing out this morning!!!! We know he IS fighting and that he CAN pull through this. his o2 is currently at 70% and they are planning on moving it down a smidge in a little bit to see how he tolerates it. They are planning to wake up again around 5am Germany time (11ish here). I asked if I could call and try to talk to him. I know he wont be able to speak to me but I think if he hears it from me rather than the nurses that we are doing good, that SOOOOOO many people are praying for him, that he has to get better cause I am not potty training the princess alone then maybe he will turn the corner!!!!

Some good news:
Doc thinks he will probably stay stable the next 24 hours with no major change in what they are doing but should be looking better after that. He offered to put in the order to have me come to Germany now. I said no. Only because i KNOW in my heart that I would be coming right back with him to DC on Tuesday. I really do think he will turn this corner and come to us Tuesday. Granted we wont be seeing him til after travel orders are made from DC by the Army but I am placing this in God's hands, His timing is perfect.

I cant begin to thank you all enough for the prayers, love, and support. I am so humbled by the outpouring of love we have received from around the world. God is SO GREAT! I promise to try and update this as much as possible. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to email me. AND KEEP PRAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. My prayers go out to you and Jeremy. My husband is currently overseas fighting as I type this and I know the torment you must be feeling. Please know that there are people who care about you and are praying that God' will Will be done. I found out about this from John as we went to HS together. God is the true Comforter and Healer! Heroes always come home!

    ReplyDelete